Sunday, June 10, 2007

We've joined the club! Swallowed the pill!

I think my household may have entered the gardener nerd club this week. The VERY entry level club, but the club nonetheless ... why, you ask? Because we actually traded plant starts with a neighbor yesterday. My husband has been taking seeds from things and planting them in (what else) TAGRO Potting Soil. We have mini orange trees, melons and I'm sure other things sprouting in random containers throughout the house. So yesterday one of our neighbors came over with some volunteer tomato starts from her garden and walked home with some of our melon starts. We're excited to discover what kind of tomatoes we'll get, as we've been informed that while she's pretty certain they're some variety of cherry tomato, they could be yellow pear, plum, or who knows what type. The kids are happy that there will be another edible in the garden.

OTHER UPDATES:

I found out why the kids didn't like the cilantro leaves so much the other day ... ours grew big and flowered, and apparently when they go to seed the leaves turn bitter. The key to cilantro is to use it use it use it. So perhaps I planted too much ... because cilantro is a once in awhile thing. So perhaps more spinach and mint, less cilantro.

My random seed spreading in one flower bed is finally starting to show signs of life. Ok, it's shown signs of life for awhile, but the flowers and shade plants I scattered are sprouting up. I'm anxious to see color emerge ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.