Saturday, June 2, 2007

Incredible, Edible ... PLANTS!

My husband told the kids today which plants in my garden are edible. The chocolate mint plan, the cilantro and the spinach. And apparently my kids were hungry. After determining that the cilantro's not so great just straight, they went around munching leaves of mint and spinach the rest of the afternoon. Seriously. Plucking leaves off the plants and eating them, and claiming to enjoy them. With E, this doesn't surprise me so much. He likes to eat onions raw and has been known to push his hot dog aside and take someone's cast off burger fixings, chomping on onions like fries and rolling up lettuce and chomping on it like a carrot. But the eldest? She's known for not touching anything green and leafy. Broccoli, yes, but SPINACH? Spinach NOT covered in Ranch dressing? Wow. She just monched on it. And the neighbor girl came over, saw what they were up to, and was like "I'm hungry ..." So, apparently the way to get your kids to each their veggies is to randomly grow them, not make a big deal out of it, then tell them they're edible ... whoah. I need to get to work planting the rest of my veggies ... fast. More incentive for a greenhouse I suppose.

No comments: