Monday, March 26, 2007

Days 5-10: Sick in bed, dreaming of raised beds

Ugh. I can't blame spring, but the farthest I've been able to get as far as gardening this last week would be dreaming about it as I lay feverishly in bed, stare longingly through Saturday's freakin' massive downpour, stare groggily at it during my medicated haze on Sunday, and cough at it today as I continue to barely be able to walk a block without getting dizzy. Grr. Why am I taunted so?

So my dear lawn, my dear garden, do not think I'm gone, I do not mean to neglect you so. I'm still keeping an eye out for little grass sprouts to pop up -- and I'm so glad the rain has been so regular and kept you so well watered. I look forward to seeing you sprout.

One realization today: If I do get to putting together a raised bed, I realized that I should probably be thinking several long and narrow raised bedS rather than the one big fat one I was imagining. This might be a no-duh to some of you, as I'm learning part of the purpose of raised beds is having an area that's easy to work with that's set up so that you don't have to walk on the soil, and therefore the soil stays well-drained and doesn't get over-compacted and all that. Makes sense. And starts to put my dreams into better focus.

So I guess it wasn't a completely wasted week. I'm not having to tear up a big, fat, giant raised bed ...

No comments: