Sunday, October 21, 2007

Wrap up for the season

So, the summary of this summer's experiments: Success! Considering we didn't plant until mid-July, when most gardens are supposed to be knee-high already, we got tall sunflowers, basketball-sized pumpkins (but green ones), we came really close to getting mature heads of corn, the lettuce is flourishing, we have a bag full of green cherry tomatoes we're hoping will ripen, the broccoli, carrots and parsnips are growing. We learned a lot ... like sunlight is a must. I'm going to have to find shade plants for under the trees, because crops get a good start, and then kind of lose their steam in the shade of our trees -- especially with this year's rather cool weather. My flower beds were a TOTAL success -- and now I know not to plant beet and onion starts in one clump.

So, many lessons learned. I'm looking forward to harvesting some root crops and lettuce throughout the winter, and can't wait to get a fresh, less stupid start one "take 2" this spring ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Monitor de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://monitor-de-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.