Saturday, May 19, 2007

My fairy gardenmother to the rescue!

So my neighbor across the alley has tripped upon this blog and -- gasp -- figured out pretty quickly whose blog it was despite my meager attempts (I said meager) at anonymity. She read about my dreams and yearnings to make the mess that is the back corner of my yard (the one closest to her) into a garden that actually produced produce rather than spiders and blackberry bushes. And instead of teasing me about how long it's taken me to attack that corner (though I have been attacking other corners!) she got to work. This genius of a landscaper is once again lending some of her energies to my yard (and making sure she has something prettier to look at than a couple blackberry runners that keep re-emerging and the pile of bricks left by the previous owner when we bought the place more than five years ago.) Like I said, she is my fairy gardenmother. She's been plotting with my husband on making this a real plot. They've staked it out, ran the string, figured out which neighbor was about to get rid of the fencing, she even squished some nasty looking spiders and turned the pile of bricks into a border for the soon-to-be growing space. Pretty soon it will be ready to have a giant load of TAGRO Potting Soil dumped on it, some seeds and starts planted within, and then I will have no excuses for not keeping this corner kept up. So thank you, fairy gardenmother, for kickstarting some magic in my backyard, especially in that horrid corner, and for being patient with our household of gardening/yardscaping idiots over the last five years -- and for helping take the fear and mystery out of just getting growing. I look forward to you having a prettier view from your yard -- and to me becoming less of a gardening idiot.